New Break Volunteers
Thank you for helping to change lives!
Volunteering at CHICKS is a really fun and rewarding experience! Many of our volunteers return time and again, because they've had such a brilliant time on our breaks.
A CHICKS break lasts from Monday to Friday and takes place at our Daleside Retreat in Derbyshire. As a volunteer, your role is to support and engage with the children to make sure they have the best possible break and make some really amazing memories.
On a break, you'll take part in activities such as rock climbing, horse riding and rafting, as well as spending lots of time playing at the retreat and enjoying the surrounding countryside. You don't need to have any experience of working with children, or any specific skills – just lots of enthusiasm and a willingness to get stuck in!
All accommodation and food on the break is paid for; the only costs to you are travelling to an induction session and to the retreat where you'll be staying for the week, as well as approximately £7 to verify your documents for your DBS check (if required).
Please note, it can take a significant period of time for a DBS to be processed if you have lived in or around London in the last five years. Please bear in mind this delay and start the application as soon as possible.
The recruitment process
All volunteers must be aged 18 or over. We like to make sure that our volunteers are equipped with the appropriate training and information, to ensure the best experience for both the volunteers and the young people that we support. Please see our recruitment process below.
- Apply: Send in your completed application form.
- Apply for a DBS. We will do this for you. If you already have an Enhanced DBS covering the children's workforce issued within a year of the date of the break you wish to attend, we may be able to use this.
- References: You will need to provide information for 2 professional, academic or voluntary referees when prompted by our third party provider (Xref).
- Attend an induction session: We require all volunteers who have not been on a break with us in the past 2 years to attend an induction session. These take place in various locations around the country throughout the year. You will be asked to indicate which you can attend when you submit your application.
- Finalise: Once all the above checks are complete, we will get in touch to book you on a specific break and clarify transport arrangements.
National Express coach discount
CHICKS is delighted to have been chosen as one of two charity partners of National Express, the UK's largest coach operator. Supporting CHICKS is one way in which National Express will fulfill its Youth Promise, a set of five commitments made to young people to enhance their opportunities of success in work, education and life.
As part of its package of support, National Express is donating free return coach journeys to be used by children attending a CHICKS break, as well as their chaperones and break volunteers. They are also funding each child's break memory bag.
By providing a free method by which children can reach CHICKS, this support enables children whose parents or referral agents had previously been unable to fund their travel to access a break. Often, these are the children in most need of our support.
We will offer you this discount when processing your application.