New Break Volunteers
Volunteering at CHICKS is a really fun and rewarding experience! Many of our volunteers return time and again, because they've had such a brilliant time on breaks.
A CHICKS break lasts from Monday to Friday, and takes place at one of our three retreats in Devon, Cornwall or Derbyshire.
As a volunteer, your role is to support and engage with the children to make sure they have the best possible break and make some really amazing memories.
On a break, you'll take part in lots of activities like horse riding, rock climbing and body boarding, as well as spending lots of time playing at the retreats and enjoying the countryside. You don't need to have any experience of working with children, or any specific skills, just lots of enthusiasm and a willingness to get stuck in!
It's completely free to volunteer with us, and the only cost to you is travelling to an Induction Session and to the retreat where you'll be staying for the week.
Find out the dates available for volunteering:
**NB we are fully booked during the Summer Holidays 2018**
To volunteer on a break, please fill in our Application Form.
All volunteers must be over the age of 18. Here at CHICKS we like to make sure our volunteers are equipped with the appropriate training and information to ensure the best experience for both the volunteers and children that we support. Please see our recruitment process below.
- Send In Application
- Apply for a DBS. We will do this for you, if you already have an Enhanced DBS covering the children's workforce issued within a year of the break you wish to attend we may be able to use this.
- References - CHICKS will apply for 2 references for you.
- Induction Session - we require all new volunteers to attend an Induction Session with us. These take place in various locations around the country throughout the year. You will be asked to indicate which you can attend when you submit your application.
Once all the above checks are complete we will then get in touch to book you on a specific break and clarify transport arrangments.
National Express Discount
CHICKS are delighted to have been chosen as National Express’s newest charity partner, alongside The Prince’s Trust. Supporting CHICKS is one way in which National Express will fulfil its Youth Promise, a set of five commitments made to young people to enhance their opportunities of success in work, education and life.
As part of their package of support, National Express, the UK's largest coach operator are donating:
- 1,000 free return coach journeys in 2018 to be used by children accessing a CHICKS break
- a 25% discount on coach travel for all adults accompanying children to CHICKS
- a 25% discount on coach travel for break volunteers.
By providing a free method by which children can reach CHICKS, this support from National Express will enable children whose parents or referral agents had previously been unable to fund their travel, to access a CHICKS break. Often these are the children in most need of our support.
In addition, in 2018 National Express are also funding the Memory Bags given to each child at the end of their break, complete with presents, diaries and photo compilations of their time at CHICKS.
We will offer you this discount when confirming your transport to and from one of our respite breaks!
***NEWS: It is currently taking 18 weeks for DBS certificates to be processed from the London Metropolitan area. If you have lived in the area over the past five years and need to apply for a new DBS, please bear in mind this delay and start the application as soon as possible.***